email us firstname.lastname@example.org
land line +34 966 495 097
Mobile +34 636 609 555
Usefull Tips to help you get ready for your big move
Here is some useful information that might help you pack or prepare for your move. Most of it is just common sense but when you have a lot on your mind sometimes the obvious just doesn’t seem.. Well.. Obvious! There are many things that we could point out that are important but there are always the 3 most important ones that almost everybody gets wrong!
- Use decent boxes, crisp boxes were made for crisps, not books!!
- Tape the boxes up properly, especially the underneath!
- Don't pack the coffee and biscuits until moving day!
HELPFUL HINTS & TIPS
Following the suggestions on this page will help to make your move a stress free and enjoyable experience. After all, whether you are moving to the next street, the next town or a new country, you are about to make a significant change to the way you live, and it should be something to look forward to!
Plan Ahead ... As soon as you decide that you are going to move house, make contact with a couple of removal companies and give yourself time to find a company that you are happy with. All too often, people neglect their move until just a week or two before the event. This can make it difficult to find a company that is able to complete your move for you, and you may find yourself having to go with your 2nd or 3rd choice because your 1st choice is booked up. We hope you use SilverFox Removals but if you don’t, then ask them lots of questions
Take 20 minutes to walk around your house and make a list of all the furniture that you will be taking to your new home. At this stage, your list will not be 100% accurate, since most people use the opportunity to clear out things that they no longer need or use. However, all removal companies will need to get an idea of what you propose to take with you, so that they know what size vehicle will be required and how many porters/men will need to be on hand.
Remember that it is better to slightly over estimate when preparing lists. On the day of your move it will not be a problem if there is space left on the removal truck. This is preferable to a truck with not enough space on it or a truck that is too small!
Be aware that a removal truck is not a car! It may seem obvious, but many people neglect to inform their removal company of access issues at both collection and delivery points. What may seem to be a perfectly easy corner to negotiate or driveway to enter, can cause problems for your removal team.
Have a look at your properties and make a note of low trees or power lines, parking restrictions, narrow access roads etc. Having to carry your furniture an extra 40 feet may not seem too difficult, but it could add a substantial amount of time to your move and, if not aware of this, your removal company will charge you extra.
The vast majority of people opt to do their own packing or most of it. This is the cheapest way to move, and it means that you can begin by packing non-essential items a week or so in advance. When packing, be sure to follow these simple and obvious rules:
- Use good sturdy boxes and tape. (Your removal company should be able to provide you with these)
- Never over-pack your boxes with heavy things into large boxes.(Remember that somebody has to pick them up and carry them over weight boxes can lead to injury and no box should exceed 20kg where possible).
- Never pack heavy or awkward items on top of delicate or fragile items.
- When packing heavy items such as books, keep the boxes to a manageable weight.
- Use lighter items such as cushions to fill the boxes.
- Pack your smaller pictures into boxes where possible. Larger pictures should be wrapped in good quality parcel paper.
- Never pack paintings in bubble wrap as this can cause them to ‘sweat’.
- Be sure to empty washing machines, dish washers etc and give your fridge and freezer 24 hours to defrost before they are moved.
- Above all else, give yourself plenty of time to pack your belongings. What may seem like a straightforward job can take a substantial amount of time, and should not be left until the last minute.
- Attempting to cram things into boxes the morning of your move will lead to delays and possible breakages.
- If we are doing your move for you here in Spain then you will be given all the materials you need and we will always deal with any large or unusual items for you, especially pictures and mirrors.
Please feel free to contact us for advice on anything that is not covered here!
Good luck and remember … good boxes, plenty of tape, coffee and biscuits!!